Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Shopping on a Budget

photos from Google

Doesn't it suck when you are on a budget and you find something that you HAVE to have but your wallet is holding you back?  I came across this situation many of times and I found a solution that works for me that might work for you!

1. Accept your budget.
You know that saying, "Fake it until you make it"...do not, I repeat do NOT apply that quote to your shoes, handbags etc.  Not only can people tell it's fake (by the quality), but accept that if you don't got it, don't pretend!! I am 23 and you will not see me rock a Birkin bag anytime soon, why, well because I don't have 20k to drop...and if I do you better believe it's not going to a bag!  I like to shop within my means and treat myself here and there.  But as a 20 something year old, if you are rocking 10k on your wrist there are only  two things I am assuming, it's fake or sugar-daddy (let's be honest).  Until you can purchase that Rolex or Chanel bag without having to worry about making ends meat, then go ahead and make that splurge!
Photos from Google

2. Look for Designer Collaborations or a Different Alternative
There are specific designers that I drool over, one being, Phillip Lim.  I own one item of his that I rock multiple times.  I can't get a whole wardrobe of his amazing pieces however, most designers are now offering alternative options in a more affordable way.  Phillip Lim collaborated with Target and truly put his personal touch to the line.  Another store that loves to collaborate, H&M! They collaborated with multiple designers such as Maison Martin Margiela and Jimmy Choo while keeping their look true but just at a lovelier price than the real deal.  Don't get mimicking confused with faking it.  Carrying a fake (plastic) Gucci bag is not the same as caring a HIGH quality (not so popular....maybe unknown) brand that has an inspirational structure like a Gucci bag, not copying the bag horribly stitch by stitch. Here's an example of mimicking:  

3.1 Phillip Lim 
Photos from Google

Photos from Google

VERSUS

Phillip Lim for Target
Photos from Google

3. Clean out that Closet
So you still want those shoes and can't find anything that will fill that void in your heart but, you still don't have enough moolah.  That's okay, again, I have ran across that issue as well.  If you want to bring something into your closet, you got to put something out.  It's time to clean up and sell your higher quality clothing that you got tired of and get some cash for it.  There are many options such as Crossroads, Buffalo Exchange, Ebay and Poshmark. Don't expect to get all or even half of your moneys worth back.  But if you sell enough items, it all adds up!

Hope that helps!

xoxo
RIO

2 comments: