Wednesday, August 20, 2014

6 Shopping Etiquette Tips


As a person who works in the retail industry, you come across the great, the annoying and the horrible customers. I believe in customer service, that is my number one rule working in any industry. However, there are moments where you come across that one customer that makes you want to spazz out. Yesterday I had a crazy experience with a customer who decided to disturb the peace which resulted into calling the cops.  That incident made me realize, do shoppers truly believe they can talk and act however they want to someone who is working in a customer service based environment?




Customer service does not mean customer servant.

Just like there is a standard for workers, there is a standard for customers.  The main and most simple rule, have respect for others. Some individuals don't get that so I decided to create the six basic shopping etiquette rules that are always left unsaid.

1. Do not get to personal - I honestly do not care about your problems and it makes me uncomfortable hearing them. You are here to shop, not to talk to a psychologist. Keep the conversation positive and light.

2. Be classy not flashy - If you are loud and obnoxious about how much you could spend in the store as you flaunt around in your designer duds but are looking in the sale section, being stingy on pricing or aren't making that splurge like you say you would, you are cheap and all talk and should probably pipe it down. Yes...I said it.

3. Leave YOUR problems at the door too - If you are having a bad day, don't take it out on me. I am a human being (must I really say that?) If I am trying to help you out and you are being nasty and rude towards me, kiss your chances of me really trying to help goodbye.

4. What do I think - Yes, I am flattered that you find value in my expertise, but if you are just constantly picking up every piece of clothing from every rack as a way to boost your ego up or to let everyone know how fabulous you are, I will find another customer and I will make myself busy. But since you really would like to know what I think that I can't say out loud....I think you have low self esteem and need others to validate you and that you should love yourself more and know that clothes can't build your self worth.

5. Be Mindful - Coming in 1 minute before closing to mess a perfectly straighten store up is not only uncool but leaving without making a purchase will make you the talk of the night. Just saying.

6. Say thank you - We deal with the undealable, we bend over backwards, we hold our tongue and we have to put a smile on a pretend that everything is peachy keen.  Ask yourself this, how would you feel or respond if your client treated you the way you treated someone in a customer service environment today? If the answer is negative, please learn to treat others a little better. Respect goes both ways!

Photos from Teen Vogue and Google

xoxo
RIO

1 comment: