Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Erykah Badu & Givenchy

erykah badu givenchy

Yes, I am aware, I am more than a couple dates late to share this wonderful news (for those who don't already know).  But, I wanted to write a little something something on one of my biggest music inspirations. Ms. Erykah Badu.


erykah badu givenchy

erykah badu givenchy

erykah badu givenchy
Images from Google

Givenchy announced that Ms. Badu will represent Givenchy's 2014 Spring and Summer Collection!!! 
First and foremost, I am ecstatic to see this beautiful eclectic neosoul icon representing one of my favorite designers. Her unique, strong and bright style sets her apart from the mainstream artists that we normally see browsing through a favorite magazine.

With the announcement of Badu pairing up with Givenchy also comes the most recent racism accusation that happened in Barney's and Macy's.

Style.com and Huffington Post shared a quote by Riccardo Tisci (Creative Director for Givenchy) on his view of fashion and diversity stating, " It's 2013. Everybody’s being so cool about Instagram, about Facebook, any media -- everybody’s being so open. At the end of the day, why are not so many black girls or Latin girls in shows? When you have an American president who is black! When I see this happening, it’s quite sad, I think. People can be so avant-garde, so advanced, but actually not, because people are still making differences between skin color.”


The fashion industry is starting to evolve and accept....(in my opinion) diversity, not only in skin tone, but in body shapes, features and imperfections.  We are all human beings and should embrace our differences and not allow it to separate us, instead, it should inspire us and bring us together.

xoxo
RIO

3 comments:

  1. I love this message! Way to go... =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow I had no idea she was doing this! I'm so excited, I love Erykah Badu!

    http://uniquelydifferent1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erykah Badu gives me a reason to smile:-)
    Be sure to check out #TheSmileProject because Style... starts with a smile:)

    http://kishaschiclessons.com/chic-sme-project/

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4ieqKFEP9g (Preview)

    And most importantly, Please support the teespring project by reserving your T-Shirt here:

    http://teespring.com/ChicSmileProject2


    Thanks!
    Kisha

    ReplyDelete