Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Invest or Get Away With It


For the past couple of weeks I have been rolling up my sleeves and getting my hands dirty with lots and lots of projects...maybe too many projects now as I think of it. I cannot believe that I am in the second week of graduate school and yes, I am still managing to stay sane while working full time and creating music. 


Photo By: Jenna
BCBGMAXAZRIA Dress -- Similar Dress 

This post is for all my busy folks out there!
Being on go mode 24/7 can get to you, it has gotten the best of me at times and it has reflected on my outer appearance.  Vanity? No. Like I have said in this last post, clothes should not make you, you need to make the clothes. Dressing up has a powerful affect on one's mood and self-esteem and it reflects the time you take out for yourself.  If you have not taken the easy way out in wearing Lululemon as regular clothes and Uggs better yet Crocs in the public then kudos to you. But I am guilty of all of the above...except for Crocs.  I can give a handful of excuses as to why I dressed so poorly, however, instead of giving you a list, I am going to give you a lists of how you can easily correct it!

Remember this post?

Having very little time to get ready can make one grab anything they see in sight and run out the door looking crazy.  Again, I have done that many, many times. What I found helpful is planning out an outfit the night before, but if you like to be spontaneous in selecting an outfit that morning but cannot seem to make a decision, go with the simple staples.

Now I divided this board into sections...
1) Investment pieces - classic quality pieces that will last you a lifetime and will cost a chunk of change but trust me, you will thank yourself later. In this category is the little black dress (wrap dresses flatters every body shape), a well fitted leather jacket (please, no studs and shit..too trendy!) and lastly, a sexy bag in a neutral color...again skip the trendy junk like spikes, prints, odd shapes etc.

2) Get Away With It - trendier pieces that are "in" for that moment or that you want to try out but don't really need.  I tend to put accessories in this category.  Obviously when you aren't living on a student budget, splurge on quality jewelry...always remember, you can always upgrade these pieces!

3) You can go both ways - you can invest or get away with it, it's your call.  I put crisp shirts that are perfect for work and watches in this category.  It seems like everyone sports a Michael Kors watch, but if you want to step up your game, get a Rolex, it'll be worth it in the long run. But for those who aren't crazy about watches, going to Topshop might be easier on your wallet since you know you might not wear it in the near future. Shoes...a nude pump is a must! Shoes are my weakness and I prefer to invest in those puppies but Zara, H&M and Asos makes it easy to have a nice leather pump at an affordable price.

Invest or Get Away With



Hope I was some help with this lengthy novel!

xoxo
RIO

1 comment:

  1. I've been in a serious slump for so long! I'm (no joke) guilty of wearing leggings, sleeping in them, and wearing them again the next day! I love your advice to just have a round of staple items that are quality but easy...

    Gotta work on getting that together.

    ReplyDelete