Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Layer Up Boys

I once lived in hoodies and felt awkward in dresses. I thought I was too cool for school even though I was an awkward child who did not know who the hell she was.






Photos by Jenna and Kate

My freshmen year in high school was an interesting time for me...a confusing time actually. I started to explore make-up, tight clothes, pink this and that and heels (DA DA DAAA) They were kitten heels but that was a huge deal for me being that I was already super tall (5'9") towering over every human being in high school.

Point blank, I was awkward.

I had crazy curls, break outs on my face and no sense of style...not, one, drop.  It funny to look back and see what was "IN" in high school which I will touch on later in a different post.  Continuing on, despite the million of heels that are well over 5 inches that I now own, or the rack that is dedicated to all my dresses, oh can't forget my little stash of make-up and the pink....I am still working on that.  

The fact of the matter is that I am more feminine in how I dress and present myself now than back then...HOWEVER! I still have that side of me that wants to ditch the dresses and wear t-shirts, sneakers and rock my messy bun without makeup. 

I still slip on my nikes, my hoodies and rock my messy bun with or without makeup.  But sometimes I put a twist to my "tomboyish" look with some feminine touches. If I plan to wear a t-shirt, make it sexy or funky with heels.  If I plan to wear sneakers, I make it fun and pair it with something unexpected like a skater dress.  

Another way to put a twist is to wear chunky jewelry or wear a bright shade of lipstick to makes an outfit really pop.  I chose to layer this t-shirt (forgot where I got it) with this thrifted denim top paired with my Michael Kors leather jacket versus a hoodie.  Instead of sneakers or sexy heels, I wanted to make it a bit funky sport my disco monkstrap platforms that I am LOVING from Forever21...yes Forever21, SUPER comfy believe it or not!

Overall, you know what you are comfortable with, just put a twist and make it fresh.  I know I am not the only one who looks at an overstuffed closet saying I have nothing to wear.  Make it fun!

xoxo
RIO

2 comments:

  1. What a cool story (and adorable outfit)! So glad to have found your blog and met you at the blogger event! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading this! It was so much fun to talk with you on BART about this stuff. =] You do these layers so well! You look great ultra-feminine and a little more masculine.

    ReplyDelete