Friday, February 28, 2014

J. Crew Date Gone Wrong



 Did my love for J. Crew alter a date? Indeed it did my friends...How is that even possible? 






I ended up going on a date a few months back with this guy who literally had a monologue going on the entire time. The date consisted of me sipping my coffee and nodding my head while he talked with his mouthful of food about himself. The moment when style was brought up, the one way conversation turned into a dialogue. 

Yes, everyone has their preference and they are entitled to their opinion, but when J. Crew came up in the conversation, his tone sounded negative. "It's too preppy, I don't wear that stuff, there are better brands." 

More brownie points were taken off at this point.  Yes there are better brands....but let me continue on with the story.

As he elaborated how stylish he was without touching J. Crew, he moved onto the next subject (himself) without asking my personal thoughts about fashion and style....brownie point deduction again.  At the time, I couldn't put my finger as to why I wanted to bolt out the door, jump into my car and get the hell out of there.  Was it the fact that he was chewing with his mouth open, yes, the boring conversation about him, yes, the fact that he kept creeping into my comfort bubble aka my space...yes.

  But what bothered me even more was that I was wearing J. Crew head to toe and wondered if I looked preppy, even if I did, it wouldn't matter, but, it was an odd situation.  If he would have asked why I loved clothes better yet, why I loved J. Crew so much he would have found out that I have a love for brands that make pants for giants with long legs like me and that I think their prints and patterns are off the chain.  He would have also been informed that you can wear their clothes to work and on the weekend without looking too stiff or too casual while having fun with your personal style. 

If he would have dug a little deeper, he would have found out that J. Crew helped me transition my boring bland neutrals into something magical.  They gave me neutral prints to work with in the beginning and then I gave into colorful pants which then led me to colorful printed shoes with doo dads on them.  
J. Crew kind of saved my style to be honest.  

Am I dramatic about the situation, yes, actually I am :P It honestly was just a horrible date.  But overall gentlemen, do not criticize a lady's personal decision, preference and especially her style.

xoxo
RIO

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post! So sorry to hear your date was a bust :( but I loved how you stood up for yourself and the clothes you love!

    ReplyDelete