Sunday, March 16, 2014

Thrifting VS Store Bought


"I'ma take your grandpa style, I'ma take your grandpa style, no for real, ask your grandpa, can I have his hand-me-downs" is a very serious statement and important question by Macklemore and myself.  Why I am asking your grandpa for his hand-me-downs?





Completing my paper is just not on the agenda (at the moment).  Instead of being a good student by regurgitating information I learned this week, I have been pondering about why I love thrifting so much and thought it would be funner (ok, more fun) to tap on each key on the keyboard explaining my love affair with second hand stores.  

What would you pick, digging on a overcrowded rack or hitting up a store in the mall with an ever so chic layout making it easy to find that untouched piece of garment that has been sold out online....most would choose the mall since it sounds more appealing but yet, I still select thrifting.  Why you say? Well, not only do I get giddy over bargains, but I guess you can say I get this rush when I dig and find buried treasure.  Like the ole' saying goes, "One man's trash is another man's treasure" and finding oversized cuddly grandpa sweaters is like hitting gold!

I wanted to share a couple of amazing pieces I nabbed while thrifting and I kid you not, most of my thrifted pieces get the most compliments than my name brand pieces (surprise surprise).  Sure, being able to walk into a store and immediately pick up that shirt that you have been eyeballing on the mannequin is convenient, but...everyone likes conveniency of getting in and getting out which means....everyone is going to buy the same damn shirt that is on the mannequin (or maybe something similar, you get my point). I don't know about you, but what I know about myself is, I don't dig that shit.

Now the trends, some trends I just don't feel are a must have and are worth the extra bucks.  So, "fake it til you make it" and get crafty by customizing something thrifted (for a few bucks) by going Martha Stewart on that ass with some scissors, a needle and thread.  A lot of my button ups had missing buttons or buttons I did not care for, so I switch it out and sewed on new ones. For oversized cardigans, cinch the waist with a cool belt (that's thrifted!)  Instead of headbands, there are so many cool silk scarves that you can wrap your hair in....just try it, you will thank me later.

I think I am going to have to create another post/video, I don't want to make this a novel if I don't have to.  Anyways, I hope you all had a fabulous weekend, now time to get back to this paper!

xoxo
RIO

2 comments:

  1. This post was great, haha! You give great tips and are very thorough, but you're still hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absoloutly cool finds!
    Love your blog!
    xx

    flatsmeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete